Connect with us:

Preventing Winter Fire Hazards

Statistics show that almost half of unit fires are started in the kitchen and 43% of all fire fatalities occur in winter. The key to reducing the risk of fires occurring in your unit is to be prepared. Failure to prepare can lead to loss of property, major burns and even worse, the loss of a life. If you’re looking for that little bit of extra safety, you can always purchase a fire extinguisher and a fire blanket to keep handy in your kitchen. Spending some extra money on these essential items can prevent a tragedy from occurring if there were to be a fire in your unit. We have provided the following tips on how to be prepared and prevent fire hazards this winter:

• If you are currently considering having any form of heating elements installed ensure you use equipment that is approved to Australian Standards and will be installed by a licensed and insured electrician
• Never leave your cooking unattended and always keep watch (particularly when cooking with any volume of oil)
• Make sure the smoke alarms in your unit have been serviced and tested. If you have a tenant in your unit, we recommend contacting your rental agent to confirm the inspection and servicing of your smoke alarms have been completed
• Check to see if there’s a Fire and Evacuation Plan for your building. If there is, then we recommend obtaining a copy of it and paying attention to where the assembly area is, what fire fighting equipment is on site and most importantly, what evacuation routes/paths of travel to use
• Check your electric blankets to see if there are frayed cords before placing them on your bed. If you’re not comfortable with it, throw it out
• If you’re using a portable heater, ensure it’s kept away from flammable materials such as curtains, blinds, tablecloths and bedding
• If you need to hang wet cloths in front of your heater, make sure they are positioned at least 1 metre away
• If you use a clothes dryer, ensure that the filter is lint free every time you use it
• Always ensure any candles are extinguished or any other open flames are out before going out or going to bed
• Store any matches, cigarette lighters or candle lighters in cool, secure places and out of reach of children
• Avoid the use of portable gas heaters on your balconies. The use of this type of equipment could lead to a build up of carbon monoxide in the unit which could have a fatal consequence

This article was contributed by Grant Mifsud – Partner, Archers the Strata Professionals


Leave a Reply